Class Notes on Sacred History
Volume III: The Four Gospels
J. W. McGarvey (1893)
Table of Contents
- Part Third. The Ministry of Jesus in Peræa and Judæa. Matt. 19:1-28:20.
THE MINISTRY OF JESUS IN PERÆA AND JUDÆA.
xix. 1-xxviii. 20.
§ I. CONVERSATIONS IN PERÆA.xix. 1-xx. 16.
1. Jesus Departs from Galilee. xix. 1, 2.
- Where was Peræa?
- Into what part of Peræa? 1.
- Was this his final departure from Galilee?
2. A Conversation about Divorce. 3-12.
- How, "tempting him"? 3.
- Meaning of, "every cause"? 3.
- How could the words quoted be those of God? 4-6, cf. Gen. ii. 24.
- Why should their hardness of heart modify the law? 8.
- Why the objection of the disciples? 10, cf. 8.
- Explain the reference to the eunuchs. 11, 12. 
3. About Little Children. 13-15.
- Why were they brought? 13.
- Why did the disciples object?
- How is the kingdom, "of such"? 14.
4. About How to Obtain Eternal Life. 16-22.
- What was the man's conception? 16.
- Why the question in the reply? 17.
- Why enjoin keeping the commandments as the way? 17, cf. 21.
- What kind of a man was he, and what did he lack? 20, cf. 22.
- Why go away sorrowful, and not angry? 22.
5. About the Danger of Riches. 23-26.
- Why so difficult? 23, 24.
- Can the rich be saved at all? 26.
6. About Those Who Forsake All for Christ. 27-30.
- What suggested Peter's question? 27, cf. 21, 22.
- What the regeneration and what the thrones? 28.
- How receive a hundredfold? 29.
7. Parable of Laborers in a Vineyard. xx. 1-16.
- What the subject illustrated? 16; xix. 30.
- In what respect were the last laborers first, and the first last? 13-16.
- How is it then in the kingdom?
- Can the eleventh hour laborers represent persons who intentionally postpone obedience? 6, 7.
- Do they represent men who obey late in life?
§ II. THE JOURNEY FROM PERÆA TO JERUSALEM. xx. 17-xxi. 11.
1. Third Prediction of His Death and Resurrection. xx. 17-19.
- Why take them apart? 17.
- What now indicated as to the time? 18. 
2. An Ambitious Request of James and John. 20-28.
- What meant by the request? 21.
- What meant by the cup? and why? 22.
- Meaning of, "minister" and "servant"? See margin.
- What the rule of Christian ambition? 27.
- What indicated here as to the design of the death of Jesus? 28.
3. Two Blind Men Healed at Jericho. 29-34.
- Why did the multitude rebuke them? 31.
- What did they believe concerning Jesus? and why? 30.
- Why follow him? 34.
4. The Public Entry into Jerusalem. xxi. 1-11.
- Where Bethphage and the mount of Olives?
- Why would the owner consent? 3.
- Why wish to ride? and why such an animal? 4, 5.
- Which did he ride? 7, cf. 5.
- Why spread the garments and branches? 8.
- Why all the city stirred? 10.
§ III. INCIDENT AND DISCUSSION IN JERUSALEM.
xxi. 12-xxii. 46.
1. Jesus Expels Traders from the Temple. xxi. 12-17.
- Why were these in the temple? 12.
- What was the wrong? 13.
- Why were the priests displeased? 15.
- How was praise perfected? 16, 17.
- Why to Bethany? 17.
2. A Barren Fig Tree is Withered. 18-22.
- What was his purpose? 18, 19.
- Why did the disciples wonder? 20.
- What mountain? 21.
- Was this promise for the twelve? or for all? 
3. His Authority is Demanded. 23-32.
- Who were the chief priests and elders? 23.
- Significance of their demand?
- What could the people see from their answer? 24-27.
- Explain the parable. 28-32.
- Meaning of, "repent yourselves"? 32.
- How would this lead to believing?
4. Parable of the Vine-dressers. 33-46.
- Why dig a winepress? 33.
- Why build a tower?
- Explain the parable.
- Explain the figure of the stone. 42.
- How was the kingdom taken from them? 43.
- Explain the other figure of the stone. 44.
- Who was it that gave the answer of 41? Cf. 45, 46.
5. Parable of the Royal Wedding. xxii. 1-14.
- Explain the parable.
- Trace the connection of thought in these five paragraphs.
6. A Question about Tribute to Cæsar. 15-22.
- Why should there be such a question? 17, cf. Deut. xvii. 15.
- Show the points of ingenuity in the plot. 15-17.
- What is the meaning of his answer? 21.
- Why did they marvel? 22.
7. A Question about the Resurrection. 23-33.
- Purpose of the law cited? Deut. xxv. 5.
- Purpose of the question? 27, 28.
- Force of the remark about their ignorance? 29, 30.
- In what sense is God, "not the God of the dead"? 32.
- What the proof, then, of a resurrection? 31, 32. 
8. A Question as to the Great Commandment. 34-40.
- Where had the Pharisees been? 34, cf. 15, 22.
- In what sense, "tempting him"? 35.
- Why the answer?
- Where are these two precepts found? Lev. xix. 18; Deut. vi. 5.
9. A Question about the Christ. 41-46.
- Why were they not able to answer? 46.
- What did Jesus gain by the question?
- Why did they not dare to question him any more? 46.
- Did Jesus hold David to be inspired?
§ IV. THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES DENOUNCED. xxiii. 1-39.
1. For Their Ostentation. xxiii. 1-12.
- How, "on Moses' seat"? 2.
- What the burdens? 4.
- What the phylacteries? 5, cf. Ex. xiii. 9-16.
- What the, "borders of their garments"? 5, cf. Num. xv. 37-41.
- What rule as to dress to be inferred from this?
- What rule to be inferred as to titles? 8-11.
- The principle to govern all? 12.
2. For Their Partisan Zeal. 13-15.
- How did they, "shut the kingdom"? 13.
- What kind of proselytes? 15.
- Why the effect on these?
- What proselyting is now wrong?
3. For Encouraging Perjury. 16-22.
- What the design of these distinction?
4. For Neglecting Weighty Matters While Observing Small
Ones. 23, 24.
- What the articles tithed? 23.
- Explain the figure of the  gnat and the camel. 24.
- Does this excuse us for neglecting small matters? 24.
5. For Hypocrisy in Regard to Purification. 25-28.
- What cleansing referred to? Cf. xv. 1, 2.
- How would cleansing the inside make the outside clean? 26.
6. For Imitating Their Persecuting Fathers. 29-36.
- Meaning of, "fill ye up then the measure of your fathers"? 32, cf. 34.
- What Zachariah? 35, cf. Zechariah i. 1.
- It is true that he was thus killed?
- In what sense did all the blood come upon that generation?
7. A Lamentation over Jerusalem. 37-39.
- What does this show as to his real feelings?
- Had he been in Jerusalem before? 37.
- Meaning of, "your house is left unto you desolate"?
- What condition of the city indicated by 39?
§ V. THE DESTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE PREDICTED.
1. Occasion of the Prediction. xxiv. 1-3.
- Meaning of, "buildings of the temple"? 1.
- Why say, "of thy coming, and of the end of the world"? 3.
2. The Beginning of Sorrows. 4-8.
- Why these things mentioned?
3. Persecutions Predicted and General Spread of the
- What effect on the church? 10, 12.
- What end meant  in 13? Cf. 6, 14.
- Was the gospel preached in all the world? 14, cf. Col. i. 23.
4. The Last Sign and an Order for Flight. 15-22.
- What, "the abomination of desolation"? and why so called? 15, cf. Luke xxi. 20; Daniel xii. 11.
- Whose words the parenthesis? and why inserted? 15.
- Why not in winter, or on the sabbath? 20.
- Meaning of shortened? and how was it for the elect's sake? 22.
- What does Josephus say of this tribulation? War, Preface, 1, 4.
- Did the disciples flee as directed? Josephus, War, B. II. C's. xix, xx; Eusebius, B. III. C. v.
5. False Christs and False Prophets in Those Days. 23-28.
- How could they show signs and wonders? 24, cf. Josephus, War, B. VI. C. v.
- What the carcase and the eagles? 28, cf. 24.
§ VI. THE SECOND COMING OF THE SON OF MAN.
xxiv. 29-xxv. 40.
1. The Coming Described. xxiv. 29-31.
- After what tribulation? 29.
- Was it to be, then, simultaneous with the fall of Jerusalem?
- In what sense "immediately" after. Cf. Second Peter iii. 3-9.
- Connection of time in the events of this paragraph?
2. When the Second Coming to be Looked For. 32-35.
- When ye see all what things? 33.
- All what things fulfilled? 34. 
3. Uncertainty of the Time. 36-42.
- Why did not the Son know? 36.
- How does this modify the two preceding paragraphs?
- Can we assign any other limit to his knowledge?
- What the point of comparison to the days of Noah? 37-39.
4. How to Be Prepared for It. 43-51.
- Show the points in the illustrations from the householders and the servants.
- What then is the way to be prepared?
5. Another Illustration: Parable of the Virgins. xxv. 1-13.
- What the folly of the one set and the wisdom of the other?
- Points of analogy in the parable?
6. Another Illustration: Parable of the Talents. 14-30.
- On what rule was the money distributed? 15.
- What wrong in the slothful servant's reasoning? 24-26.
- Why did he bury the money? 18.
- Why give to him who had ten? 28.
- What had the one-talent man? and what had he not? 29.
- What the points of analogy in the parable?
- Whence did the English word talent derive its meaning?
7. An Account of the Final Judgment. 31-46.
- Why say, "the throne of his glory"? 31.
- What shows the universality of this judgment? 31, 32.
- What the grounds of the two sentences?
- Why these grounds sufficient?
- What is seen here as to the purpose of a final judgment?
- Relative duration of life and punishment? 46.
- Give the plan of the speech which here closes. 
§ VII. PLOTS AND PREPARATIONS FOR THE DEATH OF
JESUS. xxvi. 1-19.
1. Fourth Prediction of His Death. xxvi. 1, 2.
- What day of the week was this? 2.
- On what day then was the preceding speech delivered? 1.
2. A Plot of the Priests and Elders. 3-5.
- What the immediate cause of this?
- On what day was it? 3, cf. 2.
- Why fear an uproar? 5.
3. Jesus Anointed for His Burial. 6-13.
- Why go into a leper's house?
- What is alabaster? 7.
- How was it a good work? 10.
- In what sense was it for his burial? 12.
- Why should it be so widely published? 13.
4. Judas Contracts to Betray Jesus. 14-16.
- What encouraged him to go to the priests? 14, cf. 3-5.
- Why pay in advance?
- What opportunity wanted? 16.
5. The Passover is Prepared. 17-19.
- Which was, "the first day of unleavened bread"? 17, cf. Ex. xii. 1-18.
- Why the place not previously selected?
- How did he know that the man would consent?
- What preparation had to be made? See Ex. xii. 8.
§ VIII. INCIDENTS AT THE PASCHAL SUPPER AND IN
GETHSEMANE. xxvi. 20-56.
1. The Betrayal Predicted. 20-25.
- What dipping of hand in the dish? 23.
- Why good if he had  not been born? 24.
- Purpose of this remark?
- Why did Judas ask, "Is it I, Rabbi?" 25.
- When did they expect this to be done?
2. The Lord's Supper Instituted. 26-29.
- In what sense was the loaf his body? 26.
- Meaning of, "blood of the covenant"? 28.
- What its connection with remission of sins?
- In what sense was he to, "drink it new" with them in the kingdom? 29.
- What is said as to the design of the supper?
- Why do we call it, "the Lord's supper"? See I. Cor. xi. 20.
3. A Hymn Sung and Desertion Predicted. 30-35.
- Had they been accustomed to singing?
- What hymn did they sing?
- Should we sing a hymn at the close of the supper?
- Where written, "I will smite the shepherd," etc.? 31; Zech. xiii. 7.
- Was this prediction uttered after they reached the mount of Olives? See Matt. xxvi. 30-36.
4. The Agony of Jesus in Gethsemane. 36-46.
- Where was this place? 36, cf. 30.
- Meaning of, "even unto death"? 38.
- Why say, "Watch with me"? 38.
- Why is it not possible? 39.
- Why at last say, "Sleep on"? 45.
- Why so soon after say, "arise, let us be going"? 46.
5. Jesus is Arrested. 47-56.
- Why so many? and with weapons? 47.
- Why need the sign? 48.
- How shall they who take the sword, perish by it? 52. 
- Why his remark about the time and manner of the arrest? 55, 56.
- What scriptures fulfilled? 54, 56.
§ IX. THE TRIAL AND CONDEMNATION OF JESUS.
xxvi. 57-xxvii. 26.
1. He is Condemned by the Sanhedrim. 57-68.
- Who constituted the Sanhedrim? 59, cf. 57.
- Why did Jesus not answer the witnesses? 63.
- Why not condemn him on the testimony of the witnesses? 61.
- On what did they condemn him? 63-66.
- Why say, "Prophesy unto us"? 68.
2. Peter's Denial. 69-75.
- Meaning of, "without in the court"? 69.
- What the porch? 71.
- How did his speech betray him? 73.
- What led to this denial?
3. Another Consultation of Priests and Elders. xxvii. 1, 2.
- Why this, after they had condemned him?
- What plan was agreed on?
4. The Remorse and Death of Judas. 3-10.
- Meaning of, "repented himself"? 3.
- Condemned of whom? 3, cf. 6.
- Force of his testimony for Jesus? 4.
- What of the scruples about the money? 6, 7, cf. xxiii. 24.
- Why the potter's field? and why to bury strangers? 7.
- Why the modern use of, "potter's field"?
- Whence the prediction? 9, 10, cf. Zech. xi. 12, 13.
- Why say Jeremiah? 
5. Pilate Persuaded to Crucify Jesus. 11-26.
- Why no answer to the charges? 12-14.
- Why did Pilate marvel?
- Why the custom of releasing a prisoner? 15.
- Why confine the choice to Barabbas and Jesus? 17, 18.
- What was his wife's opinion of Jesus? and when her dream? 19.
- How was the multitude persuaded? 20.
- Why did Pilate yield? 24.
- Why scourge Jesus? 26.
§ X. THE LAST SUFFERINGS AND THE BURIAL.
1. Jesus is Mocked by the Soldiers. xxvii. 27-31.
- What was their motive?
2. He is Led to Golgotha and Crucified. 32-44.
- Why make Simon bear the cross? 32.
- Where is Golgotha? and why so called? 33, cf. Heb. xiii. 12; Jno. xix. 20. L. of B., 175.
- Why not drink the wine? 34.
- Why remove his garments? 35.
- Why the inscription? 37.
- Why robbers crucified with him? 38.
- What arguments implied in the taunts? 40-43.
3. The Darkness and the End. 45-56.
- Meaning of, "why hast thou forsaken me"? 46.
- Why were his words misunderstood by some? 47.
- Why give him vinegar? 48.
- Significance of rending the veil? 51, cf. Heb. ix. 7, 8.
- What became of the bodies of the saints? 52, 53.
- What convinced the centurion? 54.
- Why were the women there? 55, 56. 
4. The Burial. 57-61.
- What the motive of Joseph?
- Why the stone? and of what shape? 60. L. of B., 129.
- Why were the two women sitting there? 61.
- Describe a Jewish sepulchre. L. of B., 127-129.
5. The Sepulchre Put under Guard. 62-66.
- At what time on the morrow? 62.
- Why only "until the third day"? 64, cf. 63.
- Why seal the stone? and how? 66.
- Why would they do all this on the sabbath?
- Why would Pilate grant them a guard?
§ XI. THE RESURRECTION.xxviii. 1-20.
1. Visit of the Women to the Sepulchre. xxviii. 1-8.
- Meaning of, "late on the sabbath day, as it began to dawn"? 1.
- Who the other Mary? 1, cf. xxvii. 61, 56.
- Why did the angel sit down on the stone?
- Why say to the women, "Fear not ye"? 5.
- When had he risen? 6.
- Why did not the women see him rise?
- Why with both fear and joy? 8.
2. Jesus Appears to the Women. 9, 10.
- Could the women have been mistaken? 9.
- Why into Galilee, when he was to appear sooner? 10, cf. xxviii. 16.
3. Conduct of the Soldiers and the Priests. 11-15.
- Did they see Jesus rise? 11, 13.
- Why persuade Pilate? and how?
- Absurdity of the report?
- What do modern infidels say of this account? 
4. The Meeting in Galilee. 16-20.
- When was the place appointed?
- Why did some doubt? 17, 18.
- Baptizing whom? 19.
- Meaning of, "into the name"? 19.
- Difference between the work before baptism and that after it? 19, 20.
- Force of, "I am with you"? 20.
- How with them, "unto the end of the world"? 20.