Class Notes on Sacred History
Volume III: The Four Gospels
J. W. McGarvey (1893)
Table of Contents
- Part First. The Preliminary Ministry of Jesus. John 1:1-4:54..
THE PRELIMINARY MINISTRY OF JESUS.
i. 1-iv. 54.
§ I. HIS PUBLIC INTRODUCTION BY JOHN THE BAPTIST.
1. His Eternal Pre-existence. i. 1-14.
- In what beginning? 1-3, cf. Gen. i. 1.
- Did John originate the title, "the Word"?
- Was the Word created? 3.
- Purpose of John's coming? 7.
- Why not say, John the Baptist?
- How, "lighteth every man"? 9.
- Meaning of, "came unto his own"? 11.
- What the right of the believer? 12.
- How born of God? and not of blood, etc.? 13.
- How the Word identified with Jesus? 14.
- What the nature of the birth of Jesus?
2. A Part of John's Testimony and a Comment by the Writer.
- When had John said this? 15, cf. Matt. iii. 11, 14.
- What words here are those of the writer, and how distinguished? 16-18.
- What the distinction here stated between Moses and Christ? 17.
3. Another Part of John's Testimony. 19-28.
- Why does the writer speak of the Jews in the third person when he was himself a Jew? 19.
- Why send priests and Levites?  19.
- Why say he was not Elijah? 21, cf. Matt. xi. 14.
- What prophet? 21, cf. Deut. xviii. 15-19.
- How did the reference to Isaiah identify him? 23, cf. Isa. xl. 1-11.
- Force of the question, "Why then baptizest thou" etc.? 25.
- Was John now at his first place of baptizing? 28, cf. Matt. iii. 1.
4. Jesus Declared the Lamb of God and the Son of God. 29-34.
- What did John mean by, "lamb of God"? 29.
- If he knew him not, why object to baptizing him? 31, cf. Matt. iii. 14.
- When was all this testimony given? 32, 29; Matt. iv. 1, 2.
- What, then, was the first movement of Jesus after his temptation?
- Whence John's knowledge that Jesus was the Son of God? 33, 34, cf. Matt. iii. 17.
5. The Last Testimony Repeated. 35-42 a.
- How long did the two stay with Jesus? 39.
- Who was Andrew's companion? 40.
- Why the new name given to Simon? 42.
- What convinced these men?
6. Other Disciples Gained at the Jordan. 42 b-51.
- What convinced Philip? 44, 45, 29.
- Why Nathanael so easily convinced? 50.
- Meaning of the prediction in 51?
- What the reputation of Nazareth?
§ II. PREPARATORY WORK IN GALILEE AND JUDÆA.
ii. 1-iii. 36.
1. A Brief Visit to Galilee and the First Miracle. ii. 1-12.
- Third day after what?
- Describe Cana. L. of B., 317.
- Distance  from Bethany beyond Jordan?
- When the invitation? 2.
- Why did Mary expect a miracle? 3, 5.
- Meaning of his answer? 4.
- What purifying meant? 6, cf. Mark vii. 1-4.
- How much is a firkin? 6. [Greek, metretes, probably the bath, equals eight and three fourths gallons].
- Quality of the wine? 10.
- Why right to make wine?
- Why visit Capernaum? 12.
2. Jesus Goes to the Passover. 13-22.
- On what did he use the scourge? 15.
- How did zeal eat him up? 17.
- Why demand a sign? 18.
- How did they count forty-six years? 20.
3. Signs Wrought during the Passover. 23-25.
- Where did he work his first group of signs? 23, cf. 4.
- Force of the remark about not trusting himself to men in Jerusalem? 24, 25.
4. Conversation with Nicodemus. iii. 1-15.
- Why did Nicodemus come, and why by night? 2, cf. ii. 24.
- Correctness of his reasoning? 2.
- Why did Jesus change the topic? 3.
- What the thought in Nicodemus' reply? 4.
- How did iii. 5 answer Nicodemus' question? 5.
- Meaning of iii. 6? cf. 13.
- Explain iii. 8. See the margin.
- Point in the question, "How can these things be?"
- Why should he have understood? 10.
- What the earthly things and the heavenly? 12.
- Points in the comparison to the serpent? 14, 15. 
5. Remarks on the Mission of Jesus and the Sin of Unbelief.
- Gave his Son in what sense? 16.
- Sense of the words "judged" and "judgment"? 17-19.
- Whose remarks are these?
6. Jesus at the Jordan, and John at Ænon. 22-30.
- What baptism was Jesus administering? 22.
- Force of the reason for baptizing in Ænon? 23.
- Describe the place. L. of B., 292-294.
- What the question about purifying? 25.
- What trait of character seen in John's reply? 27-30.
7. Superiority of the Son, and the Blessing of Faith. 31-36.
- Why say, "no man receiveth his witness"? 32.
- Meaning of the remark about a seal? 33.
- When all things given into his hand? 35.
- Connection of belief and obedience in 36?
- Whose words in this paragraph?
§ III. JESUS LEAVES JUDÆA AND JOURNEYS TO GALILEE.iv. 1-54.
1. His Departure. iv. 1-6.
- Force of the reason for leaving? 1-3.
- What piece of ground? 5; cf. Gen. xxxiii. 19; Joshua xxiv. 32.
- Describe the well. L. of B., 282.
2. He Converses with a Samaritan Woman. 7-26.
- What meant by living water? 10.
- Why did not the woman understand?
- Why speak so she could not understand?
- Why did Jesus change the topic? 16.
- Why did she change it? 20.
- What  mountain referred to, and what worship? 20.
- Describe mount Gerizim. L. of B., 289-292.
- How is salvation from the Jews? 22.
- What is it to worship in spirit and in truth? 23, 24.
- Purpose of the whole conversation? 25, 26.
3. Remarks to the Disciples. 27-38.
- Why marvel that he was speaking with a woman? 27.
- Why leave her waterpot? 28.
- Why did she exaggerate? 29.
- What took the appetite of Jesus? 32, 35.
- What month of the year? 35.
- Who the sowers and reapers? 38.
- How could he say, "I sent you"?
4. Results in Sychar, and Arrival in Galilee. 39-45.
- Why had such a woman such influence? 39.
- Why Samaritans so hospitable to Jews? 40, cf. 9.
- Effect of the miracle at Jerusalem? 45.
5. Second Miracle in Cana. 46-54.
- Who was the nobleman? See margin, and cf. Luke viii. 3.
- Why did he believe? 50.
- Why not meet the servants until the next day? 52.
- Relation in time of this Part of John to the other Gospels? Cf.Matt. iv. 11, 12; Mark i. 13, 14; Luke iv. 13, 14.