Class Notes on Sacred History
Volume II: First Samuel through Nehemiah.
J. W. McGarvey (1893)
Table of Contents
PART FIRST: THE CAPTIVITY ENDED AND THE TEMPLE REBUILT
I. A CARAVAN OF THE CAPTIVES RETURN. Ezra 1:1-2:70.
1. The Decree of Cyrus. Ezra 1:1-4.
2. A Caravan Formed and Presents Given Them. Ezra 1:5-11.
3. The Families Named and Numbered. Ezra 2:1-67.
4. They Make Offerings for the Temple, and Return to Their Former
Cities. Ezra 2:68-70.
II. WORSHIP RENEWED AND THE TEMPLE BEGUN. Ezra 3:1-13.
1. The Offerings and Festivals Renewed. Ezra 3:1-7.
2. The Foundation of the Temple Laid. Ezra 3:8-13.
III. THE WORK SUSPENDED. Ezra 4:1-24.
1. A Proposal from the Samaritans Rejected. Ezra 4:1-6.
2. The Adversaries Appeal to Artaxerxes. Ezra 4:7-17.
3. An Order for Suspension. Ezra 4:18-24.
IV. THE WORK RESUMED AND COMPLETED. Ezra 5:1-6:22.
1. The Prophets Exhort and the Work Is Resumed. Ezra 5:1-5.
2. A Letter of Inquiry Sent to Darius. Ezra 5:6-17.
3. The King's Reply. Ezra 6:1-12.
4. The House Completed and Dedicated. Ezra 6:13-18.
5. The Passover Kept. Ezra 6:19-22.
PART SECOND: THE RETURN OF EZRA, AND HIS PUBLIC LABORS.
I. HE IS COMMISSIONED TO RE-ESTABLISH THE LAW IN JUDAH.
1. An Account of Ezra and His Journey. Ezra 7:1-10.
THE PROPHETS HAGGAI (Hag. 1:1-2:23)
AND ZECHARIAH (Zech. 1:1-6:8).
(1) Haggai's First Message. Hag. 1:1-11. Compare
(2) Effect on the People. Hag. 1:12-15.
(3) A Second Message, Predicting the Superior Glory of This
House. Hag. 2:1-9.
(4) A Third Message Promising Abundance. Hag. 2:10-19.
(5) A Fourth Message the Same Day. Hag. 2:20-23.
(6) Zechariah's First Message. Zech. 1:1-6.
(7) Eight Visions to Encourage the Building. Zech. 1:7-6:8.
a. Vision of Horses, Showing Peace in the Earth, and
Mercy toward Jerusalem. Zech. 1:7-17.
b. Vision of Four Horns, and Four Smiths. Zech. 1:18-21.
c. Vision of a Man with a Measuring Line. Zech. 2:1-13.
d. Vision of Joshua and Satan. Zech. 3:1-10.
e. Vision of the Lamps and Olive Trees. Zech. 4:1-14.
f. Vision of a Flying Roll. Zech. 5:1-4.
g. Vision of the Ephah. Zech. 5:5-11.
h. Vision of the Four Chariots. Zech. 6:1-8.
2. Ezra's Letter of Authority. Ezra 7:11-26.
3. Ezra's Thanksgiving. Ezra 7:27, 28.
II. HIS CARAVAN AND HIS JOURNEY. Ezra 8:1-36.
1. The Families of His Caravan. Ezra 8:1-14.
2. Some Levites Enlisted. Ezra 8:15-20.
3. A Fast, and Prayer for a Prosperous Journey. Ezra 8:21-33.
4. Twelve Treasurers Appointed. Ezra 8:24-30.
5. The Journey Completed, and the Accounts Rendered.
III. EZRA SUPPRESSES UNLAWFUL MARRIAGES. Ezra 9:1-10:44.
1. Unlawful Marriages Are Reported to Him. Ezra 9:1-4.
2. Ezra's Confession of the People's Guilt. Ezra 9:5-15.
3. A Reformation Proposed by Shechaniah. Ezra 10:1-5.
4. The Reformation Effected. Ezra 10:6-17.
5. The Names of Those Who Put Away Their Wives. Ezra 10:18-44.