Class Notes on Sacred History
Volume II: First Samuel through Nehemiah.
J. W. McGarvey (1893)
Table of Contents
- The Chronology of Israel.
- Review: The Reign of Solomon.
- Review: The History of Israel.
- Review: Judah from the Division of the Kingdom Till the Fall of Israel.
THE CHRONOLOGY OF ISRAEL.
§ I. AS COUNTED BY THE REIGNS OF ISRAEL'S KINGS. 1. House of Jeroboam. I. Ki. xiv. 20; xv. 25, = 24 years 2. House of Baasha. I. Ki. xv. 33; xvi. 8, = 26 " 3. Zimri. I. Ki. xvi. 15, = 7 days 4. House of Omri. 1Ki. xvi. 23, 29; xxii. 51; II. Ki. iii. 1, = 48 years 5. House of Jehu. II. Ki. x. 36; xiii. 1, 10; xiv. 23; xv. 8, = 102½ " 6. Revolutionary Period. II. Ki. xv. 19, 17, 23, 27; xvii. 1, = 41 " -------- Total, = 241½ " 7. Interregnum Between Jeroboam and Zechariah.
II. Ki. xiv. 23, cf. xiv. 2; xv. 8,
= 12 " 8. Interregnum Between Pekah and Hosea. II. Ki. xvi. 1, cf. xv. 27; xvii. 1, = 9 " -------- Total, = 262½ " Deduct, because of Jewish count, one half year from every reign over one year; e. g., I. Ki. xv. 25, 33; xvi. 8; et al., = 8 " -------- Total, = 254½ "
§ II. AS COUNTED BY THE REIGNS OF JUDAH'S KINGS. (1.) Rehoboam. I. Ki. xiv. 21, 17 years (2.) Abijam. " " xv. 2, 3 " (3.) Asa. " " xv. 10, 41 " (4.) Jehoshaphat. " " xxii. 42, 25 " (5.) Jehoram. II. Ki. viii. 17, 8 " (6.) Ahaziah. " " viii. 26, 1 " (7.) Athaliah. " " xi. 3, 6 " (8.) Joash. " " xii. 1, 40 " (9.) Amaziah. " " xiv. 2, 29 " (10.) Azariah. " " xv. 2, 52 " (11.) Jotham. " " xv. 32, 33. 16 " (12.) Ahaz. " " xvi. 2. 16 " (13.) Hezekiah. " " xviii. 10, 6 " ---- Total, 260 " Deduct, for Jewish count, one half year from every reign over one year. 6 " ---- Total, 254 " Difference from first count caused by inaccuracy of the one half year taken from each reign.
THE REIGN OF SOLOMON.
I. HIS ACCESSION.
- Under what circumstance was Solomon first anointed? what were the grounds of Adonijah's pretensions?
- What eminent men supported him? and why?
- To whom was Solomon chiefly indebted for his accession?
- What solemn charges given by David?
- What became of the chief conspirators?
- Describe his second anointing.
II. HIS WISDOM.
- Give the account of Solomon's choice of wisdom.
- What special test of his wisdom is recorded?
- To what other wise men is he compared? and what was the range of his studies?
III. HIS ADMINISTRATION.
- What officers did he appoint?
- Who was the high priest of his reign?
- What the generation condition of the people?
IV. THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE.
- How was the necessary timber procured? and how transported?
- How many laborers of different classes did he employ?
- Where were the stone quarries?
- What is known as to the size of some of the stones?
- When was the foundation laid? and how much time occupied in building?
- What the dimensions of the structure?
- What the inside finish? and the divisions?
- What figures in the oracle?
- What ornaments placed in the porch?
- What receptacles for water were constructed?
- Who made the brass  work? and where was the casting done?
- Describe the new altar.
- How many candlesticks in the Holy Place?
- How was the mountain top leveled and enlarged?
- What were the ceremonies of dedication?
V. HIS GRANDEUR.
- Describe his palace.
- Describe his golden shields and ivory throne.
- What of his horses and chariots?
- Whence the money?
- Describe the visit of the Queen of Sheba.
VI. HIS MILITARY POLICY.
- What addition to the defenses of Jerusalem?
- What other cities did he fortify? and what the special purpose of each?
VII. HIS SINS AND CONSEQUENT TROUBLES.
- Describe his apostasy.
- What rebuke from God?
- What political troubles followed?
- Who were his biographers?
- Describe the new epoch now reached.
THE HISTORY OF ISRAEL.
I. THE HOUSE OF JEROBOAM.
- What was the occasion of Jeroboam's being made king?
- What was his previous history? I. Ki. xi. 26-40.
- What cities did he fortify? and which did he make his capital?
- What was his great sin? and what policy prompted it?
- Describe his conflict with a prophet before the altar at Beth-el.
- Show the character, and describe the fate of that prophet.
- What lesson taught by his career?
- Describe the death of Jeroboam's oldest son.
- Describe the fall of Jeroboam's house.
- How long did it hold the throne? 
II. THE HOUSE OF BAASHA.
- What the great sin of Baasha's reign? and what rebuke was administered for it?
- How was his house destroyed? I. Ki. xv. 33-xvi. 7.
- What was its duration?
III. THE HOUSE OF OMRI.
- How long did the house reign?
- How much relative space given to the history of this period?
- What political change did Omri make? I. Ki. xvi. 16-58.
- What the general character of Ahab's reign? and what change did he effect in religion?
- What was the chief struggle in Elijah's career?
- State briefly the successive steps in that struggle? I. Ki. xvii. 1-xix. 21.
- What was his proof that Jehovah is God?
- Give the significance of the scene on mount Horeb.
- Give a brief account of the first war between Ahab and Ben-hadad. I. Ki. xx. 1-43.
- Of the second war?
- Give account of the crime against Naboth. I. Ki. xxi. 1-29.
- Why did Ahab have a residence in Jezreel?
- In the third war with Syria what help had Ahab? and how obtained? § VIII. 1.
- Describe their inquiry of the Lord.
- Describe the battle and its results.
- Who was Ahab's successor? and what the principal events of his reign? §§ VIII-X.
- Describe the translation of Elijah. § XI. 1.
- What occurred with Elisha soon afterward? § XI. 2.
- Who reigned after Ahaziah? and what the general character of his reign?
- Describe his expedition against Moab.
- Give the account of Elisha's dealings with the good Shunammite. § XI. 8, 9, 17.
- Give the account of  healing Naaman, and the cupidity of Gehazi. 11, 12.
- Of Ben-hadad's attempt to capture Elisha. 14.
- Of the siege and relief of Samaria. 15, 16.
- Give the prediction concerning Hazael. 18.
- Describe the fall of the house of Omri. § XII. 3, 4, 6.
IV. THE HOUSE OF JEHU.
- Describe the accession of Jehu. § XII. 3, 4.
- The death of Jezebel. 5.
- The destruction of Baal-worship, and the close of Jehu's reign. 7, 8.
- What the condition of Israel under Jehoahaz? § XIV. 1.
- Describe Elisha's last prediction and its fulfillment. 3, 5.
- How long did Jeroboam the Second reign, and what distinguished his reign? § XV. 4.
- What was Jonah's connection with him? 4.
- Describe Jonah's flight from the Lord.
- Describe his preaching and its effect.
- What brought Nineveh to repentance?
- What practical lessons illustrated by the career of Jonah?
- What other two prophets appeared in the reign of Jeroboam? § XVI.
- Who was Amos? and how did he become a prophet?
- What the principal subjects of his prophecies?
- During what period did Hosea prophesy?
- What his principal subject?
- What was the state of morals in Israel at this time?
- Describe the downfall of Jehu's house? 2.
- How long did it continue?
- What changes, political and religious, did it bring about?
V. THE REVOLUTIONARY PERIOD.
- What became of Shallum? § XVI. 3.
- What the chief thing in Menahem's reign? 4.
- Who were the next three kings?
- What  war in Pekah's reign? and what result? 6.
- What the principal events of Hosea's reign? § XVIII. 1.
- How many invasions from Assyria had now occurred?
- Who was king of Assyria at the captivity? and what changes of population did he make? 2, 4.
- What was his policy in this?
- What the duration of the northern kingdom?
JUDAH FROM THE DIVISION OF THE KINGDOM
TILL THE FALL OF ISRAEL.
I. THE PERIOD OF HOSTILITY WITH ISRAEL.
- What caused the rebellion of the ten tribes? § I.
- What steps taken by Rehoboam to suppress the rebellion?
- Character of the first part of Rehoboam's reign? § III.
- Give the military events of his reign.
- Describe the most conspicuous event in Abijam's reign?
- What was Asa's course in religious matters?
- Describe his conflict with Baasha.
- What other war did he wage?
- Describe his affliction in his old age.
- Who succeeded Asa? § IX.
- What naval enterprise did he undertake? and with what result?
- What educational enterprise?
- What judicial arrangements?
- What friendly alliance did he form? and what battle followed?
- How long had the two kingdoms been in a state of hostility?
- What judgment was pronounced on this alliance?
II. THE PERIOD OF ALLIANCE WITH ISRAEL.
- Describe Jehoshaphat's defense against Moab and Ammon.
- What punishment did he afterward inflict on Moab? § XI. 4, 5, 6.
- What writing by Mesha is still preserved? § 6.
- What part  did Elisha take in this campaign? 2.
- Who was successor to Jehoshaphat? and what is known of his reign? § XII. 2.
- What followed upon the death of Ahaziah? § XIII. 1.
- What crisis was now reached by the house of David?
- What good and what evil came to Judah from the alliance with Israel?
- What brought it to a close?
III. THE PERIOD AFTER THE ALLIANCE WITH ISRAEL.
- Describe the coronation of Joash? § XIII. 2.
- Trace the whole career of Athaliah.
- With what reform did Joash's reign begin? 3, 4.
- What work on the temple? and how conducted? 5.
- Of what great crime was he guilty? 6.
- How did his career terminate? and why?
- Who succeeded Joash? and what his first act? § XV.
- Of what piece of military folly was he guilty?
- What was his fate?
- Who was king of Judah during the revolutionary period of Israel? § XVI.
- In what other form is his name written?
- What attention did he give to military affairs, and to agriculture?
- What disaster befell him?
- What the relative condition of the two kingdoms at this period?
- When did the prophet Amos appear? and what did he predict respecting Judah?
- What other prophet appeared in Uzziah's reign?
- Who succeeded Uzziah? and what characterized his reign? § XVII.
- What was the character of Ahaz?
- Give the account of his war with Israel and Syria?
- What was said by Isaiah in regard to it?
- Describe Isaiah's call to be a prophet.
- Give his picture of the depravity  then prevalent.
- In whose reigns did he prophesy?
- Name all of the great prophets who appeared in the period from Rehoboam to Hezekiah.
- What is known of the prophet Micah?
- Who was king in Judah when Israel went into captivity? and who was then prophesying? § XVIII.