“MY SIN IS EVER BEFORE ME"
Introduction: David's wretched sin. Had sent Uriah to front line of
battle to die. Had already committed adultery with Bathsheba. 2 Sam. 11:14-17.
Remorse filled the King's heart but his sin was still there!
So it is with us. We sin knowing we shall be condemned, then spend a
lifetime wishing we had not been so foolish. Sin is sin, even when committed
by a King
I. SIN IS A PERSONAL THING. "MY"
1. Cannot shift responsibility. Rom. 14:12
2. Drawn away of our own lust. James 1:13
3. Men reluctant to say, "I have sinned."
II. SIN IS A POSITIVE THING. "IS"
1. Some would minimize sin
2. Nathan said, "Thou art the man!"
3. God hates sin. Paid awful price to redeem us
III. SIN IS A PERPETUAL THING. "EVER"
1. David's conscience was never clear
2. Sin remains until removed. Hb. 10:4;1 Pet. 1:18,19
3. He was a King, but his sin remained
4. We cannot outgrow our sins; they must be removed
IV. SIN IS AN EVER PRESENT THING. "BEFORE"
1. He thought of it constantly
2. Remorse is a death dealing. blow. Judas, Mt. 27:3
3. His seed suffered because of it. 2 Sam. 12:10
4. Afflicted children often remind parents of their evil conduct
V. SIN IS A POSSESSING THING. "ME"
1. Had really overcome David to see Bathsheba
2. Often warps our better judgement, possesses us
3. Should not have "dominion" over us. Rom. 6:14
Sermon by Thomas Winter Butterfield
May be reproducted for
non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.