ôREMOVE NOT THE ANCIENT LANDMARKS"
1. Purpose of landmarks to identify land areas, and personal holdings
2. Israel was commanded not to remove landmarks
3. Their homes, possessions, depended upon them
4. Our home in Heaven depends upon "ancient landmarks."
5. Erected by Lord and apostles
I. OUR SALVATION DEPENDS UPON BEING IN CHRIST'S CHURCH
1. He built it. Matt. 16:18
2. So many now it behooves us to find "landmarks."
3. Some "landmarks" are frauds. Have been erected too recently. (By
modern churches.) Marks erected before or since Jesus built the church
are too old or too young to be original
II. THE CHURCH HAD ITS BEGINNING IN JERUSALEM. Acts 2
1. We should go there for original marks
2. These are the most "ancient." Rome devised some since but hers
are too recent
III. SOME OLD LANDMARKS THAT WE CAN TRUST:
1. The Lord's Supper. Erected by Jesus! Men have ignored this mark
2. Simple gospel of Christ. Rom. 1:16. Men still ignore it's simplicity
3. Immersion. Recognized by Jesus. Matt. 3:16. Men say it means nothing
4. Weekly contribution. 1 Cor. 16:1,2. Paul ordered it, but men say
it is not good
5. Singing praise unto God. Col. 3:16. Early Christians did it, but
men say it is not enough
CONCLUSION: If we cannot depend upon the "ancient landmarks" given by these
men of the early church, surely we cannot trust modern methods to guide
us to our Heavenly Home.
Sermon Outline by George William Butterfield
May be reproducted for
non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.