"THE LORD'S SUPPER AND WHAT IT MEANS
TO THE PEOPLE OF GOD"
1. It means nothing to those who are not the people of
Passover important only to Jew.
2. Its significance can be appreciated only by the people
3. It must be observed to be appreciated.
4. Some of Lord's people do not appreciate it.
I. INSTITUTED UNDER GREAT SOLEMNITY.
At the Passover Feast. Ex. 12:1-15
Jesus desired to keep this one. Lu. 22:15
Knew it would be last Jew could keep. Vs. 16,17
Instituted by Jesus Himself. This means something to God's
people. No mere man-made ritual!
II. WHO HAS A RIGHT TO PARTAKE
OF THE SUPPER?
1. Many theories, but fact remains that only the people
can appreciate the Supper.
2. Foreigner may celebrate the Fourth of July along with
Americans but he cannot appreciate what it means.
3. The Supper was given to the disciples. Matt. 26:26
III. THE PURPOSE OF THE SUPPER.
1. Some refuse to eat because of the presence of an erring
brother or sister. Thus the Supper has been made a medium
for vengeance. How utterly wrong!
2. Some look at others to see if they eat the Supper,
it a means of determining the faithfulness of a brother in Christ.
This is not the purpose of the Supper.
3. Its purpose is to show Christ's death. I Cor. 11:26
4. It helps us remember the cost of our salvation.
5. It helps maintain spiritual vigor. 1 Cor. 11:30
6. Idea of communion helps us enjoy "like precious faith."
2 Pet. 1:1
VI. MUST BE OBSERVED:
1. Weekly. Acts 20:7.
2. In worthy manner. 1 Cor. 11:29
3. After self-examination. I Cor. 11:28
Sermon Outline by Thomas Winter Butterfield
May be reproducted for
non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.