INTRODUCTION: TWO CHILDREN WERE PLAYING HOUSE. MOTHER DECIDED TO LISTEN IN TO THEIR CONVERSATION. THE LITTLE GIRL SAID TO THE LITTLE BOY. "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT I'LL JUST GET A DIVORCE!" WHERE DID THE CHILD PICK UP THE IDEA OF DIVORCE? FROM TV FROM HER FRIENDS? OR WAS IT FROM OVERHEARING MOM AND DAD FIGHTING?
THE HOME IS IN A MESS IN AMERICA TODAY. ALMOST HALF OF ALL MARRIAGES END IN DIVORCE. WE DESPERATELY NEED TO GO BACK TO GOD'S ORIGINAL PLAN FOR MARRIAGE.
I. WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF MARRIAGE?
A. Jesus tells us.
1. Matthew 19:3-9
2. in the beginning
B. God performed the first "wedding"
1. Genesis 2:20-25
C. The institution of marriage is the oldest ordinance of God inII. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF MARRIAGE?
A. To provide a relationship whereby both partners can fulfill one
another's need for companionship.
1. Genesis 2:18-20
2. Man needs the company and encouragement of others.
3. Your mate provides that much needed companionship that cannot be provide by any other.
4. This is accomplished when each spouse looks to fulfill the needs
of their mate instead of their own.
B. For the propagation of the human race.
1. Genesis 1:28-"And God blessed them, and God said unto them,
Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue
it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the
fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon
C. Provide a forum for successfully raising our children.
1. Ephesians 6:1-4
2. We are just beginning to pay the price for one parent and no
3. A child is much more likely to grow up to become a good citizen
and child of God from a home that is stable and spiritual.
4. The Bible has relatively little to say concerning "one parent"
homes because it did not envision them as the ideal and that
they are poor substitutes for God's plan for two loving parents
training their children in the nuture and admonition of the Lord.
D. To prevent immorality.
1. I Corinthians 7:1-5, 8-9
2. Hebrews 13:4-"Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed un-
defiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge."
3. Proverbs 5:15-20
E. To help us develop our spiritual lives.
1. Ephesians 5:22-32
a. Marriages serves as a model of our relationship with Christ.
2. I Peter 3:7
III. THE ABIDING NATURE OF GOD'S MARRIAGE LAW.3. While there may be rare circumstances of distress where marriage is not advisable for the Christian (I Corinthians 7:1,26), our relationship with our spouse should aid us in maturing as a Christian, not hinder us.
A. God's ideal arrangement for marriage has never changed.
1. Matthew 19:8
B. It is a law older than any of God's commandments
1. Genesis 2:24
2. Had it's origin in the first man and woman.
IV. THE NATURE OF GOD'S MARRIAGE ARRANGEMENT.3. Applies to all mankind.
A. It is a lifetime relationship.
1. Romans 7:2-3
2. Marriage is a binding commitment that is designed for life.
B. Marriage is to be the start of new family.
1. Matthew 19:5
C. The husband is to be the head of the family.
1. Ephesians 5:22-24
D. The wife is to be in subjection to the husband.
1. Ephesians 5:22-24
2. Colossians 3:18-"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own
husbands, as it is fit in the Lord."
3. I Peter 3:1-"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your
own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may
without the word be won by the conversation of the wives:
E. It is to be a relationship cemented together by love.
1. Husbands must love their wives with a sacrificial love,
like Christ loved the church.
a. Ephesians 5:25-"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
b. Colossians 3:19-"Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them."
CONCLUSION: ONE BROTHER HAS SAID CONCERNING MARRIAGE, "THE KIND OF MARRIAGE THAT GOD WANTS IS SO SUBLIME THAT IT IS A LITTLE TASTE OF HEAVEN ON EARTH." MAY WE ALL STRIVE TO MAKE OUR MARRIAGES TO BE OF THIS CALIBRE.2. Titus 2:3-5
Copyright 1999 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.