|THE DISTINCTIVENESS OF CHRISTIANITY
INTRODUCTION: Everything about Christ and his teaching was distinctive.
I. IT HAS A DISTINCTIVE MESSAGE-DIRECT FROM GOD.
A. It is a divine revelation.
1. Galatians 1:11,12- But I make known to
you, brethren, that the gospel
2. Ephesians 3:1-3
B. It is God's power to save.
1. Romans 1:16
II. IT IS DISTINCTIVE BECAUSE IT ENABLES A PERSON
TO SEE HIMSELF AS HE REALLY
A. It acts like a mirror.
1. James 1:23-25 For if anyone
is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he
2. Through it we can see how far we have to go.
B. It teaches us not to be satisfied.
1. Philippians 3:13 - Brethren, I do
not count myself to have apprehended;
2. Hebrews 6:1 - Therefore, leaving
the discussion of the elementary
III. IT IS DISTINCTIVE BECAUSE IT PLACES SUPREME IMPORTANCE ON EVERY SOUL.
No other religion has reached across racial and geographical lines like
2. Islam-Middle East
B. Christianity's marching orders dictate that we make converts of all people.
1. Mark 16:15
C. Christ died for every man.
1. Hebrews 2:9 - But we see Jesus,
who was made a little lower than the
2. Therefore all can be inheritors of eternal life.
D. This means that an all-out effort must be made toward the lost.
1. 1 Corinthians 9:22 - to the weak
I became as weak, that I might win the
IV. IT IS DISTINCTIVE BECAUSE OF IT'S CONDUCT TOWARD IT'S ENEMIES.
A. Some would object to this.
1. They look at so-called Christians.
2. Just because some who profess Christianity
don't live it doesn't mean that
B. It's distinction- loving ENEMIES.
1. Luke 6:27-29 But I say
to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to
2. Romans 12:19-21 Beloved, do
not avenge yourselves, but rather give place
3. If we love only our friends what have we done?
a. Luke 6:32,33- But if you love those
who love you, what credit is that to
C. Can we love people more even when they love us less?
1. When we realize the value of their souls.
a. Mark 8:36, 37 - For what will it
profit a man if he gains the whole
2. When we realize that the same Lord who
loved us when we were his enemies,
a. John 3:16
b. Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates
His own love toward us, in that while
V. CHRISTIANITY IS DISTINCTIVE IN THAT IT'S
FOLLOWERS ARE TOLD TO FIND JOY
A. We can rejoice like the apostles.
1. Acts 5:41 - So they departed from
the presence of the council, rejoicing
B. We can be happy like Paul.
1. Acts 16:22-23, 25 - Then the multitude
rose up together against them; and
2. 2 Corinthians 12:10 - Therefore
I take pleasure in infirmities, in
C. We can rejoice like James.
1. James 1:2 - My brethren, count it
all joy when you fall into various
CONCLUSION: In Acts 4:13, the people "took knowledge of them that they
Copyright 1999 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.