INTRODUCTION: Many brethren, if they would be honest, would ask, "Why
be concerned about personal work." After all, it seems to be a lot
of fuss over something that seems to produce such little results.
Why be so concerned?
I. WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT PERSONAL WORK
A. He has given His people a commission to carry out.
1. Matthew 28:18-20
2. Mark 16:15-16
3. Luke 24:46-47 "Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."4. They didn't take this charge lightly.
B. They understood that obeying this command was a proof of their love for Jesus.
1. John 14:15
2. Matthew 7:21
II. WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT PERSONAL WORK
A. What the Gospel does for lost souls who surrender their lives to the Savior.
1. Acts 2:38 - the forgiveness of sins.
2. Acts 2:46,47 - a new joy
3. Acts 2:55-60 Gave them a reason for living and a confidence in death.
4. Gospel literally means "glad tidings."
B. Because they
had good news the early Christians had a desire to share it with others.
1. 2 Corinthians 5:14-15, 20 - "For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; 15- and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again. 20- Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God."III. WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT PERSONAL WORK BECAUSE
THE WORLD IS LOST WITHOUT THE GOSPEL.
A. Sinners are lost if they don't obey the it.
1. 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9
2. Mark 16:16
B. The Gospel is the only way aliens sinners can enter into a relationship with God.
1. Romans 1:16
Men cannot obey the Gospel unless they hear it.
1. Romans 10:14-17 "How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15- And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!' 16- But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?" 17- So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."IV. WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT PERSONAL WORK BECAUSE
CHRISTIANS WILL BE LOST IF THEY DO NOT SEEK TO SPREAD THE
A. Disregarding the commandments of God is just as wrong as committing things forbidden.
B. Soul winning is the highest, best work that a Christian can be engaged in.1. James 4:17- "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin."
1. It engaged all the attention of our Master.
2. Luke 19:10- ""for the Son of Man
has come to seek and to
will be lost if they bear no fruit.
1. John 15:1-2 ""I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2- Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit."
1. Just like the vine that naturally bear fruit.
2. 2 Corinthians 4:13- "And since we
have the same spirit of faith,
3. Matthew 28:19- "teaching them to observe
CONCLUSION: The elders are very much concerned with the need to reach
out to the lost in 1999. They are depending on you to help reach
out with the gospel. Jesus told us to pray for laborers for the harvest
of souls (Matthew 9:37-38). We need laborers to step forward in 1999
to be harvesters of souls.
Copyright 1999 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.