|THE GOOD SAMARITAN
WHAT BROUGHT ON THIS PARABLE?
KJV Luke 10:25-29
25. And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted
him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26. He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest
27. And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy
God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength,
and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this
do, and thou shalt live.
29. But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus,
And who is my neighbour?
KJV Luke 10:30-37
30. And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem
to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment,
and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31. And by chance there came down a certain priest that
way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came
and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where
he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34. And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in
oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn,
and took care of him.
35. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two
pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him;
and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
36. Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour
unto him that fell among the thieves?
37. And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto
him, Go, and do thou likewise.
THE MAN IS UNIDENTIFIED
WE SHOULD BE CONTENT
KJV 1 Timothy 6:6-10
6. But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain
we can carry nothing out.
8. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
9. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and
a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction
10. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which
while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves
through with many sorrows.
YOU CANNOT BUILD THINGS UPON OTHERS INJURIES
KJV Habakkuk 2:12
12. Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and stablisheth
a city by iniquity!
THE PRIEST & THE LEVITE (RELIGIOUS MEN)
THE OLD LAW TAUGHT TO HELP THOSE IN NEED!
KJV Exodus 23:4-5
4. If thou meet thine enemy's ox or his ass going astray, thou
shalt surely bring it back to him again.
5. If thou see the ass of him that hateth thee lying under
his burden, and wouldest forbear to help him, thou shalt surely help with
KJV Isaiah 58:7
7. Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that
thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the
naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own
LESSONS FOR US – TO BE UNSELFISH AS THE SAMARITAN
DO NOT HELP FOR APPEARANCE SAKE
KJV Galatians 6:12
12. As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh,
they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution
for the cross of Christ.
HELP OUR BRETHREN
KJV 1 John 3:17
17. But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother
have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth
the love of God in him?
KJV Galatians 6:10
10. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto
all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
HELP THE UNGODLY, CHRIST DID
KJV Romans 5:6
6. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ
died for the ungodly.
KJV Galatians 2:20
20. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet
not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh
I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for
THERE SHOULD BE HONOR IN PREACHING AND HELPING THE POOR
KJV Luke 4:18-20
18. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath
anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the
brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of
sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19. To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the
minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue
were fastened on him.
THE PASSAGE CHRIST QUOTED IN LUKE 4:18-20
KJV Isaiah 61:1-2
1. The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath
anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind
up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening
of the prison to them that are bound;
2. To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance
of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
WHO IS MY NEIGHBOR?
THOSE EVEN YOUR ENEMIES
KJV Matthew 5:43-47
43. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love
thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that
curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully
use you, and persecute you;
45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is
in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and
sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have
ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47. And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more
than others? do not even the publicans so?
WE ARE SERVANTS AS CHRIST WAS – TO SAVE THE LOST
KJV Matthew 20:26-28
26. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will
be great among you, let him be your minister;
27. And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your
28. Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister,
and to give his life a ransom for many.
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.